The research area focuses on geological / geophysical natural hazards, quantification of their impacts, their prognosis, and early warning. We are developing deterministic and probabilistic risk analyses as well as methods to analyze and estimate associated damages and other risks from buildings and infrastructural facilities.
Work is carried out in the frame of the Center for Disaster Management and Risk Reduction Technology (CEDIM) and KIT Climate and Environment Center. We maintain a close cooperation with the Earthquakes and Megacities Initiative (EMI) and risklayer.
Research Topics and Projects
- Multi-Hazard and Multi-Risk Assessment Methods
- CATDAT - Damaging Natural Disaster Databases (Earthquakes, Floods, Volcanoes)
- Socio-Economic Risk Assessment of Natural Disasters
- Numerical Modelling of Volcanic Hazards
- Development of a Global Tsunami Risk Model
- Forensic Disaster Analysis
- Landslide tsunami hazard assessment for the Tyrrhenian Sea